Availability specialist for the IBM i.Making High Availability Affordable for the SMB.A High Availability Partner that grows with you.Professional and effective consultancy for the IBM i.

Availability specialist for the IBM i.

Making High Availability Affordable for the SMB.

A High Availability Partner that grows with you.

Professional and effective consultancy for the IBM i.

Slider caption5

About Chris Hird

I have been around the IBM i or it’s predecessors (AS/400, iSeries, i5, System i etc.) for about 24 years now. I started after being retrained by IBM from a Buyer into a programmer! I always loved to get involved […]

Read More

Employer Info

What we do! We develop solutions for High Availability and Disaster Recovery which we distribute through a network of partners and web based portals. If you wish to contact us please visit our website at http://www.shieldadvanced.com. The blog and website […]

Read More


We no longer provide a download link for the IBM i 5733 SC1 option. We removed the downloads from the Blog sometime ago due to a lot of abuse, we may decide to put up some new downloads in the […]

Read More


As you can tell from my posts I am very passionate about the IBM i and the ‘C’ programming language. PHP is really similar to ‘C’ so it has become my favorite language for building website content, however I use […]

Read More
Latest Blog

Filtering journaled object creations in LVLT4i, HA4i and DR4i

I was asked about the ability of our products to filter content within a journal. The problem is a common problem and one which affects us due to our policy of applying everything within the journal (some products will create […]

read more

System recovery with LVLT4i

One of the questions we get asked a lot when discussing the technology within LVLT4i is how would a recovery of the customers system look. Obviously every recovery is going to be different but a basic set of guidelines and […]

read more

Ensuring your space objects are replicated

An unfortunate system loss at one of our customers highlighted a problem which resulted in the loss of data from a couple of objects. The system loss was experienced on the target side of the replication environment so no production […]

read more

System and Software for journaling system objects patent EP 1559019 A1

To view the above patent please click here. Why the interest My interest was peaked by a recent LinkedIn comment about how using the Audit Journal to capture replication requests was a poor design choice. I have been developing High […]

read more

Building language capabilities into products

One of the challenges we have been attacking is how to build our products in such a manner that we could embed local language support. The majority of the content can be shipped in language product loads that allow the […]

read more

We are back

Moved the blog to a new provider so should be back up and running with new content soon.Chris…

read more

Been a very busy winter period.

Winter in Canada can be a very long affair and as we know its been a very hard and cold winter this year. This has kept us locked in the office for a lot longer allowing us to do a […]

read more

Embedded SQL in a C program on IBM i.

Quick post about my experiences and hopefully a guide to others who are starting to look at the possibilities of embedding SQL in C Programs. First note: Not a lot of samples or good tutorials out there. Second note: Remember […]

read more

PASE to the rescue..

I was working with a client over the Holidays looking at an issue where our save processes for the IFS kept failing to get a lock on a couple of IFS objects. The problem meant that the Sync Manager would […]

read more

First Node.js example

For me one of the main reasons to run Node.js on the IBM i is to access IBM i data and objects. I can already access all of these using PHP today so I wanted to see just how easy […]

read more