The problems with the restore 21 of the partition data have been resolved and all of the partitions are now up and running.
The problem which gave us the most grief was the update to the content of the partition which was running V7R2. For some reason the restore operation kept hanging at different spots in the restore 21 process. One of the problems seemed to be with damaged objects on the system which caused the restore to hang and required a forced power off of the partition (SYSREQ 2 did nothing). We cleaned up the damaged objects and started the restore again only to hang again while restoring the IFS only this time we could end the restore operation with SYSREQ 2 and get back to a command line. There was nothing in the joblog to show why the restore was hanging so we eventually manually run the command to restore the IFS. We then started the partition and everything looked OK, but when we tried to start the HTTP server (we like the mobile support so we needed it running) it kept ending abnormally, turns out we forgot to run the RSTAUT command. Restore 21 does this after the RST for the IFS completes. After we ran the RSTAUT the jobs all started up correctly and we had the partition up and running again.
The other problem we had was with a V6R1 partition, it refused to start complaining about a lack of resource (B2008105 LP=00004). As this was a deployment of a running configuration so we thought nothing had changed and wondered why it would no longer start up. In the back of our minds we had a vague recollection that setting up partitions for V6R1 on Power7+ systems required the RestrictedIO partition flag to be set so we looked through the partition profile to find where it was set without success. We discovered that it is not part of the profile, you have to set the flag in the properties for the partition. Once we had done this the partition came up without any further problems and we now had all of our original configuration up and running.
We made a couple of additional changes to the configs because one of the reasons we really liked the VIOS option was being able to start everything up at once. With our set up we were powering up the host partition and then powering up each of the clients manually. We wanted to be able to power on the system and all of the partitions would fire up automatically. Also when we wanted to power down we just wanted to power down the host partition and it would take care of all the hosted partitions, the answers is the Power Controlling settings. We set up each of the NWSD objects in the hosting server to be Power Control *YES, we then updated the profiles for the hosted partitons to be Power Controlled by the hosting partition. After initializing the profiles with the NWSD object varied off and shutting down the profiles we then varied on the NWSD objects and the partitions automatically started up. Now when we start the main partition the other partitions all start once the NWSD is activated (they are all set to vary on at IPL). We also set the hosting partition to power on when the server was powered on and the server to power off when all of the partitions were ended. We have not tested the power down sequence to make sure the guest partitions are ended normally when we PWRDWNSYS *IMMED on the hosting partition but it should shut down each partition gracefully before shutting itself down.
Now its back to HA4i development and testing for the new release, manuals to write and a new PHP interface to design and code. Even though we like the Web Access for i interface it is not as comprehensive as the PHP interface in terms of being able to configure and manage the product.
If you are planning a move to partitioning your Power system we hope the documenting of our experiences is helpful.